It was on 15th April, 1972 that the Archbishop of Singapore, Rt.Rev. Gregory Yong, then Bishop of Penang, blessed and open our Church named after Our Mother of Perpetual Help, Ipoh Garden, Rev. Fr. James Wallace CSsR was the first Parish priest.
He was assisted by Rev. Fr. John G.Martin CSsR to help the Tamil-speaking Catholics and Rev. Fr. Campos CSsR came regularly from Singapore to help with the Chinese-speaking Catholics.
In 1973, Rev. Fr. Ken Williams CSsR was appointed Assisting priest in the parish. Rev. Fr. Wallace and Rev. Fr. Williams then set about organizing the new parish by carrying out intensive parish visitation and setting up of the essential machinery for the efficient running of the Parish. The next time you are in Ipoh, check out our parish of Our Mother of Perpetual Help Church, where a place to serve the poor and needy, regardless of race or religion, is named Wallace House. "Wallace House will always help to keep his name alive in OMPH in Ipoh." For spread of the Redemptorist Community globally, click here to view the chart.
The Church belongs to the Roman Catholic order of the Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer (C.Ss.R.), founded by St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori, in Scala, Italy, in 1732. The motto of the Congregation is "Copiosa Apud Eum Redemptio" which means: "With Him there is Plentiful Redemption". For features on the Redemptorist saints and blesseds, click here.
The early seed of the foundation of the Redemptorists in Ipoh was sown by Rev. Fr. James Wallace CSsR and Rev. Fr. Tom Creede CSsR when they gave a mission in St.Michael’s Church in 1959. A gallant team of Missioners, Priests and Brothers arrived in 1960 to start the foundation at 31, Tambun Road, Ipoh. In June that year, the Bishop of Penang gave formal recognition to the establishment of the Redemptorist Community in Ipoh.
St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori, founder of the Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer (CSsR).
Snapshots of history.
Address: 19-21 Jalan La Salle, 31400 Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia; Tel: (60) 5458220; Fax: (60) 5468 495.
Click on image above to take a tour into history of OMPH Church